The Oregonian | Portland, Ore.
Housing and Development Reporter | August 2011–present
- Created Oregon real estate blog that attracted more than 100,000 readers each month
- Used computer-assisted reporting and data from two sources to show mortgage lenders were holding, not selling, 80 percent of foreclosed homes in the Portland area
- Wrote one of five parts in an award-winning series on the lingering effects of the Great Recession
- Routinely broke news about real-estate developments and trends
Resident Intern | June 2010–July 2011
- Developed one-reporter beat covering county of 425,000 for weekly zoned print edition of The Oregonian
Columbia Missourian | Columbia, Mo.
Assistant City Editor | August 2009–May 2010
- Developed website for coverage of health care reform, including resources for understanding the debate
Reporter | May 2008–August 2008, August 2009–present
The Omaha World-Herald | Omaha, Neb.
Reporting Intern | June 2009–August 2009
- Assigned to write a brief about a headstone bought for a man lynched and buried in an unmarked grave in Omaha, I tracked down the unlikely buyer — a California man — and wrote a front-page story
- Wrote another front-page feature and several section-front stories for a regional newspaper with a daily circulation of 184,150
The Maneater | Columbia, Mo.
Editor-in-Chief | August 2008–present
- Oversaw website redesign to highlight new media and breaking news. The redesign and the year’s content won an Online Pacemaker Award, the paper’s first since 2002
University News Editor | August 2007–May 2008
Crime Editor | January 2007–May 2007
University of Missouri School of Journalism | Columbia, Mo.
Bachelor of Journalism degree with a newspaper emphasis, 2010
Awards and honors
- Society of American Business Editors and Writers Best in Business award for explanatory journalism, 2012
- Poynter College Fellowship, 2009
- Missouri College Media Association second place award for investigative reporting, 2007
- National Society of Collegiate Scholars, 2006
- Missouri Journalism Scholars, 2006
- Eagle Scout, Boy Scouts of America, 2003
Software | Adobe InDesign, Adobe Illustrator, Adobe Photoshop, QuarkXPress, Soundslides, Microsoft Access and Microsoft Excel
Online | HTML/CSS coding, Web production on several content management systems, news blogging, video reporting and editing, audio reporting and editing
Language | Conversational German